Even though I travel often, that doesn’t stop me from practicing yoga. If the same goes for you, this article is the right place to find a good travel yoga mat for you. Those who don’t take yoga seriously might think that every yoga mat is the same, but we, experienced yogis, know this could not be further from the truth.
We know that with a good yoga travel mat we can enjoy yoga wherever we are. Also, with a quality yoga mat, practicing yoga is, even more, fun and more comfortable. But, how one can know which yoga mat should be ideal for their trips? Well, let’s find out.
How to choose Yoga Mat for Travel
Types of Yoga mats available
- Natural rubber yoga mats – Made of natural rubber, these mats are eco-friendly and non-toxic. They offer good slip-resistance and are very durable. In addition, they have excellent cushioning, and that’s why these mats are ideal for Power yoga.
- Cotton and hemp – While cotton yoga mats have good cushioning and soft texture, they aren’t as durable as those made of hemp. Cotton yoga mats will absorb sweat with ease, but hemp mats excel in that part too. These mats are ideal for summer.
- Plastic Elastomer – These mats are a modification of plastic mats, so they are better than its precedents. Not only they are eco-friendly and toxic-free, but they also provide great traction. Plus, they are slip-resistant.
- Jude yoga mats – This type of yoga mat is made from jute fibers – natural materials and is ideal for all types of yoga practices since it offers amazing breathability, stickiness, and durability.
So, whichever material you opt for, just make sure to choose the one that will best suit your needs.
What about stickiness?
Another thing to consider is stickiness. You definitely want your yoga mat to be stick enough so that you can do your yoga poses with confidence. The last thing you need is ending up injured and this can be very dangerous since here we’re talking about yoga poses. Naturally, some mats are less sticky than others are.
In addition, some mats get extremely sticky when they get a little bit wet. An extremely sticky yoga mat will allow you to hold your poses and move from one pose to another with ease. However, it’s up to you to choose the perfect stickiness, because you know best what you need.
How thick is it?
yoWhen it comes to thickness, it’s best to choose 1/8″, as it will provide you better cushioning. But, you can also choose a ¼” thick or even 1/16 inch thick yoga mat. Also, it’s important to know where you will store your yoga mat, and also how much cushioning you’ll need.
Is your yoga mat reversible?
Having a reversible yoga mat is a great thing, because, well, you can use it on both sides, and won’t have to think whether you turn your mat on the wrong side.
One of the crucial things that you want out of your yoga mat is to fit easily into your suitcase or travel bag. So, look for a mat that is foldable or the one you can roll. Also, make sure to choose a lightweight yoga mat. You can even get a yoga mat that comes with a yoga mat travel bag and make packing a whole lot easier.
Top Three Yoga Mats for Travel
Based on travel yoga mat reviews, these are top picks for 2017. So, how about you finally find the best travel yoga mat for you?
Jade travel yoga mat
This is one of most popular travel yoga mats and with good reasons! The mat is easy to roll and offers excellent grip. Thanks to great non-slip resistance, you can hold poses without worrying about slipping and hurting yourself.
For every mat sold, Jade will plant a tree, how cool is that? Made of natural rubber, this mat is durable and provides good cushioning.
However, the mat isn’t very lightweight and will easily collect dust.
- Easy to roll
- Made from natural rubber
- Provides good cushioning
- Not very lightweight
- Will collect dust fast
Gaiam reversible travel yoga mat
The mat is made of microfiber on one side to provide comfort and absorb sweat and features rubber on the other side to give you amazing stability. One is for sure, no need to worry about slipping with this mat by your side!
However, this mat is too thin for use on the non-carpeted floor.
- Very light
- Provides stability
- Should be used on carpeted floor
- Too thin
3. Manduka EKO Superlite travel yoga mat
The mat comes in a plethora of colors to choose from so that you can do yoga in style. You will easily fold this mat, as it is very thin.
However, the mat will smell very strong, due to rubber material. Plus, it is not lightweight.
- Provides excellent grip
- Won’t absorb bacteria
- The smell is strong even after months of use
- Not lightweight
I hope that this article helped you with choosing a good traveling yoga mat so that you can enjoy yoga on the go. I reviewed Gaiam reversible travel yoga mat, Jade yoga mat travel, and Manduka travel yoga mat – as these are favorite ones of yogis (including me) all over the world. Whichever one you opt for, rest assured that you would be happy with the purchase. So, take your new yoga mat and make the most out of your journey! Namaste.